Monday, April 13, 2009

Twitternovels

Listening to Peter Sagal, the presenter of the NPR News Quiz Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, I learnt about keitai shousetsu, novels written on mobile 'phones in Japan. Of course there are now all sorts of people writing novels one tweet at a time. Peter had a slightly different idea: Twitternovels - book summaries in 140 characters or less. Here's some examples that really made me smile.

Pilgrim's Progress: Are we there yet?
The Hound of the Baskervilles: The entomologist did it.
Pride & Prejudice: I hate that guy. Actually, he's kinda hot
The Grapes of Wrath: Times are hard. Sister breast feeding homeless guy. I am so outta here.
Lion, Witch & Wardrobe: 4 Brits find magic world, talking lion, & witch in closet; kill witch, become royalty, accidentally go home

Watership Down: A stirring tale of trust, leadership, and epic battles. With bunnies.
Jane Eyre: Plain girl takes up with a posh man after a harsh childhood. Only life is still harsh cos she has to look after man
Catcher in the Rye: Kicked out of school again. Drunk-dialed some friends. Adults suck.
Huckleberry Finn: Buddy & I rafted this weekend. Rapids were bitchin'.

Here's a couple I tried myself

Of Mice and Men: Lennie loves rabbits. And dreaming. Curley's Wife dies by accident. Lenny shot before mob lynch him. Loneliness is all there is.

HHGTTG: That's a good answer. I wonder what the question is? Infinitely improbable.

Sticky Wisdom: How to have fun and innovate

I wonder if anyone has tried to write an entire novel in just 140 characters.....

No comments:

Post a Comment