Friday, May 25, 2007

Do you care who gets the credit?

At a recent company meeting our Chairman quoted Harry S. Truman: "It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit." It really stuck in my mind.

It is amazing that I've lived almost 45 years and never heard this quote before. Mind you I guess it's not so common in business. I mean it's the kind of thing people say and no doubt aspire to, they probably even buy inspirational posters of this quote and hang it in their offices; but I wonder how many corporate environments are really conducive to this kind of behaviour? And I wonder how one would go about creating a corporate culture that encourages selfless leadership?

Maybe a better question is what does a company with such leaders look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment